The staff of Annie’s Book Stop of Worcester is delighted to see the forsythia blooming and the leaves starting to bud on the trees outside our shop window. We’re sure our customers are happy to see nicer weather, too; there’s nothing as satisfying as enjoying a good book or magazine in your favorite porch seat or lawn chair!
- There’s two more days left for our Magazine Special! Between now and May 1st, if you purchase a copy of DOCTOR WHO MONTHLY #472, your cost will be only $5.00! [Cover price for DWM is usually $9.99 and up.] And any additional magazine titles purchased with that issue will be $1.00 off the cover price. This offer includes back issues of DOCTOR WHO MONTHLY, the DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE Specials, and back issues of TORCHWOOD MAGAZINE, STARLOG, REALMS OF FANTASY, BLOODWORKS JOURNAL, GRAVE TALES, and MYTHIC DELIRIUM. Offer ends at close of business on Thursday, May 1st.
- Our thanks to those who’ve already purchased and donated books for “Worcester: The City That Reads”. The book drive is still going; it will run until May 15th. The drop box for new and gently used titles for grades K through 8 can be found at our front register. More information can be found at http://www.golocalworcester.com/news/monfredo-worcesters-city-that-reads-book-drive-needs-your-help/.
- We’ve got some wonderful bargain books on our carts for our Sidewalk Sale, which will be running, weather permitting, all through the summer. There are hardcover and paperback books of many genres ranging in price from fifty cents to five dollars – romance, thrillers, adventure, craft books, cookbooks, do-it-yourself handbooks, and more! We replenish these at regular intervals, so come and peruse our selection.
- We’ve replenished our Classics section, and have more titles coming in weekly! New arrivals include DRACULA by Bram Stoker, THE CALL OF THE WILD by Jack London, THE INFERNO by Dante Alighieri, THE SCARLET LETTER by Nathaniel Hawthorne, WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE by Shirley Jackson, and THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ by L. Frank Baum.
- We will be re-launching our weekly craft-and-audio social event, SPINNING YARNS, during the month of May. Stay tuned for details!
We’ve got an exciting spring and summer schedule planned, with more authors and events being added all the time. [We can even give you a sneak peek at some autumn festivities as well!] Keep an eye on our Facebook page and our website for these additions.
Confirmed events so far:
* Thursday, May 1st at 7PM: ABSW will be doing an off-site event at Bigelow Free Public Library in Clinton, MA. Three YA authors will share a panel discussing their books and taking questions from the audience. The featured authors are: Gina Rosati, author of AURACLE ; Erin Cashman, author of THE EXCEPTIONALS; and Diana Renn, author of TOKYO HEIST. We will be selling these at this event, and also have copies here for those who can’t make it to the panel.
* Friday, May 9th from 7-9 PM: We’re hosting an early Mother’s Day book signing with Judith Arnold, Penny Goetjen, and Audrey Nicholson. These novelists span the genres of mystery, romance, and historical fiction; we’re pleased that they’ll be sharing their books with us for a cozy and sweet evening.
* Saturday, May 10th from 3-5 PM: Join us as we welcome award-winning speculative fiction author Elizabeth Bear! She’ll be signing copies of STELES OF THE SKY, her newest novel, and we will have other titles of hers available for purchase and autographing.
* Friday, May 23rd from 7-8:30 PM: Worcester Storytellers returns for their monthly event. May’s featured writer is Joe Fusco, Jr., who will be reading from THREE SCORE, his new collection of essays and poetry. The evening starts with an “Open Mic” at 7PM sharp; the public is welcome to read one or two pieces of their own, limited to five minutes per person to allow everyone to have an opportunity to read.
A preview of events to come:
- For Father’s Day in June, join us as we welcome Rory O’Brien, author of GALLOWS HILL, a mystery set in Salem, MA, and Jonathan Brookes, author of the near-future military thriller THE RELIC. Fans of Robert B. Parker and Michael Crichton will enjoy the works of these debut authors. Dates and times to be announced.
- On Friday evening, August 8th, we’ll be hosting Tom Lukas and his Spycar during his book tour for SPECIAL OPERATIONS.
- On Sunday afternoon, September 28th, come meet Stacy Juba and friends as they present “Characters at a Crossroads”.
- Stay tuned for an announcement about our Dark Carnival in October!
Thanks, as always, for the opportunity to be YOUR neighborhood bookstore.
—Patty and the staff at Annie’s Book Stop of Worcester