Our two newest hardcovers from the New York Times Best Sellers list this week are both non-fiction:
- BRIEF ANSWERS TO THE BIG QUESTIONS by Stephen Hawking, his final thoughts on cosmology and humankind
- THE LIBRARY BOOK by Susan Orlean, a tale of libraries and librarians starting with the 1986 Los Angeles Public Library fire and expanding back into the past, present, and future
And although we have plenty of autumn days still to come, the winter holidays ARE approaching, and so we’re starting to stock up on boxed sets for gift-giving.
Back in stock this week are two of our favourites: THE CHRONICLES OF PRYDAIN by Lloyd Alexander, and FABLEHAVEN: THE COMPLETE SERIES by Brandon Mull, to go along with the newly released DRAGONWATCH titles.
Posted in New Arrivals, Thursday
Tagged boxed sets, cosmology, fantasy, libraries, Memoirs, physics, sociology, stephen hawking, susan orlean, young adult literature
Our selection for today includes books that tie in to our upcoming events for November:
- CURIOUS GEORGE titles for our special guest appearance by the mischievous monkey himself from 11am to 3pm on Saturday, November 10th.
- Mythology books from Edith Hamilton, Mary Pope Osborne, the D’Aulaires, and others to spotlight our book signing for the YA novel LABORS OF AN EPIC PUNK by Mark & Sheri Dursin, also on Saturday the 10th, starting at 4:30pm.
- The paperback editions of the first four novels in THE GUARDIANS series by William Joyce, in anticipation of the fifth chapter book JACK FROST, due out on November 20th.
Stay tuned for next week’s Kids and Teens spotlight.
It’s Tuesday again, and that means our weekly spotlight on speculative fiction… fantasy, science fiction, and horror.
- With GOOD OMENS about to launch its broadcast [featuring DOCTOR WHO’S own David Tennant], it’s a great time to re-read the novel by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
- Speaking of Neil Gaiman, we have a special collection of figures from The Dreaming, the setting for many of the tales in his SANDMAN comic book series.
- We’ve sold through the second volumes in DJ Butler’s flintlock fantasy series, but we still have copies of WITCHY EYE, as well as all three volumes in his middle readers series THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF CLOCKWORK CHARLIE.
- It would not be Halloween without a visit from the Headless Horseman. Check out our other spooky books.
- We’ve started restocking both the Target novelizations of DOCTOR WHO episodes, as well as the audiobook versions. This week saw the arrival of TWICE UPON A TIME, and shipments en route include SURVIVAL and GALAXY FOUR.
- We’re not forgetting our younger WHO fans, either. We expect to receive ONE DOCTOR, TWO HEARTS and T IS FOR TARDIS in the next few days. Reserve your copies now!
This week’s frontlist and backlist for adults and kids in picture books, middle reader titles, young adult books, graphic novels, fiction and non-fiction paperbacks and hardcovers, and British science fiction audio, magazines, and accessories:
- OCTAVIA E. BUTLER – DAWN
- LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA – G’MORNING G’NIGHT
- MARGARET ATWOOD – THE HANDMAID’S TALE
- JARRETT KROSOCZKA – HEY KIDDO
- DAVID SMALL – STITCHES
- THE WITCH ELM – TANA FRENCH
- THE CLOCKMAKER’S DAUGHTER – KATE MORTON
- LEADERSHIP: IN TURBULENT TIMES – DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN
- FROST FAIR – EDITH LAYTON
- DRAGONWATCH 1 & 2 [FABLEHAVEN] – BRANDON MULL
- DORK DIARIES 13
- THE GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE [PAPERBACK] – MACKENZI LEE
- THE LADY’S GUIDE TO PETTICOATS AND PIRACY [HARDCOVER] – MACKENZI LEE
- MAP OF DAYS [MISS PEREGRINE] – RANSOM RIGGS
- DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE #530 & #531
Not to mention The Thirteenth Doctor’s sonic screwdriver, just in time for Halloween and the autumn cosplay season.
Check in with us weekly for more literary and imagination-driven arrivals, and make our shelves your destination!